Thursday, October 14, 2010

New Decorations

Well yesterday I worked on some new decor for my living room.




These are some oars that Lois found for me at antique alley. I forgot to take a before picture (I know I always do that) but on the bottom they had these terrible pictures of a lighthouse on them. I painted them with a blue that I had Home Depot color match to my couch pillow. Then I did the white lettering on them. I am not crazy about the writing part because I write like a first grader but they will work. The oars were ten dollars and the paint was two dollars and forty-eight cents. I still have paint left over for another project if I want.




This old crate box was given to be by the before named sister. I use to hate getting hand me downs from her as a kid but now I love it. That might be because the hand me downs have greatly improved. I digress!! I painted it red and then used the before mentioned blue to do the lettering. Again I don't care for the lettering because of my terrible writing skills but again it will work. When all the paint was dry and I was doing the lettering I put some blue painters tape to give me a guide line for where I wanted the lettering. When I pulled it off it pulled some of the paint off too. Normally that would be devastating but this time it was perfect. I went with it and put more tape on in random spots and yanked it off like you do a band aid. Quickly. Then it wasn't rustic enough so I took a spakling (sorry if that's spelled wrong) tool and roughed it up some more. I am happy with the end result. The box was free and the paint was two dollars and forty-eight cents so that was a cheap decoration and looks great if I do say so myself. Now I just have to put a light coat of poly and they are ready for their rightful place in my living room. (Sorry about the dramatic flair)


This I found at a thrift store for one dollar. I know what your thinking. UGLY!! Well yes it's ugly now but it has great potential. I am not going to tell you what I am going to do with it yet. I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.
Ape

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your oars look really good. I did one with an oar I found at homegoods. My oar had a bear scene down by the river. So I just flipped the oar and painted my numbers on the other side. I used stencils and my oar still looks like it was done by a first grader. (not to insult 6 year olds) I couldn't put the stencils on straight. Oh well, I figure maybe it's just a bit more rustic looking. :-) LM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look great, April...and I think the lettering looks fine. I guess we always pick apart our own work, though. Remind me to ask you what the numbers are for when I see you again. Oh wait, I think I just realized what they are...Cute idea.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...I am impressed April, you are getting real crafty...nice job, it looks great

    ReplyDelete