Monday, May 7, 2012
Grace
For the past few months a song by Laura Story has been on my mind. The song is titled "Grace". It's a really great song. If you want to hear it go to you tube and type in Grace by Laura Story.
On Saturday night we went to a Gaither Homecoming concert. It was really fun. We heard the Martins, the Issacs, Linda Randle, Charlotte Ritchie, a Bass singer I can't remember the name of, and of course the Gaither Vocal Band. The Martins sang a song about grace that was really good. If you want to hear this one go to youtube and type in except for grace by the martins.
(I tried to do links to these songs but they didn't work so sorry about that)
Listening to both of these songs has got me thinking about the word grace and what it means. I decided to look it up in the dictionary and see what it means. Here's some of the definitions they had:
GRACE:
1. A disposition to be generous or helpful; goodwill
2. Mercy; clemency
3. A favor rendered by one who need not do so; indulgence
4. a temporary immunity or exemption; a reprieve
5. a divine love and protection bestowed freely on people
6. The state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God
7. an excellence or power granted by God
After reading these I just sat back and the only word on my mind was, WOW!! A small word with a lot of meaning and a word that I think holds a lot of power. I would like to go through a few of these and comment on them. (sorry this might get a little long winded)
A favor rendered by one who need not do so:
If that does not describe God I don't know what would! He gave his life for us so unselfishly so that we may live a better life. I look at this definition and think how selfish I can be. The Lord gave us favor without thinking about himself or his son. Why can we not do the same in every area of our life. Why can't we choose to render favor to others weather it's needed or not. Shouldn't that just be something we do without question? I don't know if I am making since here and I am speaking to myself more then anyone else here.
A divine love and protection bestowed freely on people:
Again I have to say does this not describe God??? Divine love!! I don't know about you but my human mind has a hard time grasping the enormity of that and what it means for me and my life. I know I am a christian, that I am saved and will be caught up to be with the Lord some day but divine love!! That's huge!!
The state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God:
Again WOW!! Protected and sanctified!! I also wanted a little more on the word sanctified so I looked it up. It means: to set apart for sacred use; to make holy, purify. So we are set apart for sacred use. Again WOW!! I am only just looking at these things and thinking about them and already am feeling like spiritually I am not reaching even a small part of the potential I can have and am called to have!! Something to think about for sure!!
I also looked in the back of my bible under the work grace to see what versus where there.
Ephesians 1:7-8
"in him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished onus with all wisdom and understanding"
There were others too but You all can look at them on your own as I will be doing. I want to understand the magnitude of grace better and in excepting God's grace and in excepting when others show grace to me and also in showing grace to others. Anyway hope all that made some kind of since to you.
Ape
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Our God is amazing! We don't deserve His Grace, but we get it anyway, it is more than my little mind can comprehend, but I am so grateful!
ReplyDeleteI like to think of the acronym of GRACE. Grace = Gods Riches At Christ's Expense.
ReplyDelete