Monday, January 9, 2012

Best Spagehtti Sauce Ever!!

This recipe is Joan Chisum's with some tweaking by my mom. I think it's the most flavorful sauce ever. I love it but I also grew up on it. A small disclaimer. My mom measured the seasoning in "hands" (meaning she dumped it in her hand till if filled it and dumped). I also do it this way but I did ask my mom about how much a hand is so the spiced are approximate.

In a stock pot cover the bottom with olive oil and add:
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
cook til glossy and add 2 cloves garlic, minced and fry till done.


add:
2 large cans (at least 10 ounces each) tomato paste
2 large cans (at least 29 ounces each) tomato puree
2 large cans (tomato puree size) cans water
stir until well mixed and then add:

2 to 3 shakes Worcestershire sauce
1 shake Tabasco cause
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons beef broth powder
3 hands (about 6 Tablespoons) crushed parsley
2 hands (about 4 Tablespoons) oregano
3 hands (about 6 Tablespoons) sweet basil
2 small hands (about 2 Tablespoons) rosemary
2 small hands (about 2 Tablespoons) salt
2 small hands (about 2 Tablespoons) black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
1 hand (about 2 Tablespoons) Italian seasonings
sprinkle of allspice
2 teaspoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
pinch baking soda
1 pound mushrooms, washed and sliced


1 pound sweet Italian sausage cook and sliced or crumbled (use hot Italian sausage if you like a spicy sauce)

Cook all day on low heat with lid on
take lid off the last two hours of cooking.
Serve hot over noodles with salad and french bread.

Hope you all try this and let me know how it turned out. Made this for company last night. It was so fun.
Ape

2 comments:

  1. Mine ends up waaaaaay spicier than moms! I have bigger hands, didn't think about that, so they are smallish hands for the measurment. It is a yummy sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having us, we really enjoyed our time with you guys and Caleb and Amy....and it is a tasty sauce!

    ReplyDelete