You will need:
\One whole chicken (about four pounds), rinsed and patted dry, inerts removed from cavity.

Three sprigs of fresh rosemary (I used five)

One lemons, rinsed and cut in half (I used two lemons)

two whole cloves of garlic (I used four)

Salt and Pepper (I think freshly ground tastes better)

about three Tablespoons of butter (I used a little more)
So first you take out the giblets that are in the cavity, then rinse and pat dry your chicken. Salt and pepper the cavity then add: lemons cut in half, garlic, and rosemary. Then tie your chickens legs together so all that good stuff will stay in the cavity during the cooking process. Next your use about two Tablespoons of butter and baste your chicken all over, then salt and pepper the chicken all over. Next place your chicken in the crock pot on high. The recipe says breast side up but I did it breast side down and I felt like the meat was more moist so do what you want on that one. Cook it in the crock pot on high for four to four and half hours or until an instant read thermometer poked in the thigh meat reads one hundred and eighty.
Next turn your oven to broil on high and line a cookie sheet with foil.

Like so! Then place your chicken breast side up (must be breast side up for this step) and baste with one to two more table spoons of butter on top. Broil for two to three minutes to crisp the skin. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for ten minutes.

It should be a nice golden brown but I put my rack to close to the broiler and burned the skin a little so be ware of that when and if you make this. I served it up with some mashed red potatoes, gravy (that I used my chicken drippings for), green beans, a salad, and Jackie brought some bread.

Let me know how you like it if you try it.
Ape

OKay folks! Just letting you know as one of the people who got to try this chicken... it is REALLY GOOD!! So I would make the suggestion that you try it. :)
ReplyDeleteYour picture of the chicken out of the broiler is back side up, not breast side up. I bet it was still killer good.
ReplyDelete