Monday, October 31, 2011

Pre - K

Well today I took the plunge with Conner and we got out the school books and started pre-K. I was not very excited about this part of life starting. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Conner did. We worked for abut thirty minutes. We started with learning the letter A. I didn't have him write it yet but we learned a few words that start with the letter A and what sounds the letter A makes. I read him a story about "Andy the Ant" and he colored a picture the coincided with the story. He got not very far into coloring his picture and told me he was tired and wanted to be done. I had to talk to him about how this is how it was going to be from now on. We are going to be doing school everyday and we will not be done when he decided he's tired of doing it. We are getting you ready to go to school next year and we were going to be doing school at home everyday (mon - fri) and that's just how it was going to be. He then asked me if I was going to cry when he went to school. It was cute. Anyway, after that I decided that I didn't have to be super rigid in this so I helped him color his page. After that we worked on some numbers, matching, and just following directions. I want to work most on following direction as this is where Conner struggles right now. He doesn't listen very well when Shawn and I are talking to him so I am hoping that working with him in this doing school work might help him during the day when Shawn and I are giving him direction. I can hope right!! He seemed to enjoy the experience for the most part. I am definitely going to have to remember back to my days teaching second graders and the methods I used to get them to focus. It's going to take some reaching back cause that was almost ten years ago. It was something I enjoyed at the time but it sure is different when they are your kids. I did enjoy the time spent with just Conner and focusing only on him. Logan and DaraLynn were napping and so that worked out great. At the end we did some math using fruit snacks. If you know my kids at all you probably know they LOVE fruit snacks so this was very appealing for Conner. He counts great up to ten but struggles with the numbers after that. Mostly just because we have only done "finger" counting and we only have then of those, or at least he only has ten of those.! Pray for me as I take this on. Conner starts kindergarten August of 2012 and I am trying to prepare him for that. I want to start him off strong if I can in every area. I also have to remind myself to be patient with him, it's all new to him. Hope you all have a great day,
Ape

2 comments:

  1. This might be just what you want, to have one on one time with Conner. Don't be discouraged with small progress, but let him know how proud you are of him when he gets something right. Positive encouragement. It will also be great for him as you have to spend so much time with the baby. He will feel special when you remind him that the baby has her time and you and he have you special time also. I know how hard it is to think that they must get this concept today, but think of it as building blocks and you start at the very bottom and build upward. Boys may have a harder time concentrating at this age, just because they think differently than girls (I know, some think that this isn't so - but I know, I had both girls and boys) So, long story shorter - great job to start now. School will come when it comes and he will be prepared, maybe not as much as you want, be he WILL progress! Blessings on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started pre k as well. I was offered a great bit of advice by another mom who had been in my place. She said to limit school time to 1 hour max. they are still toddlers and as such they have short attention spans. It is true an hour is about all we can do. Glad it goes well!

    ReplyDelete